Stay focused on your trades and learn how to manage emotions.11 March, 2017 by Paula Rodriguez in Forex Lifestyle
To become a better trader, it is important to learn how to manage emotions. Being able to control emotions can boost mental health and overall trading performance. In the long run, properly managing emotions can lead to quality output. During stressful executions or unexpected market turns, good emotional management can lead to higher efficiency and optimized decision making skills.
What is emotional management?
Emotional management describes an active tracking and reinforcing of healthy emotional intelligence. In forex trading, it is the extra effort given to manage emotions especially during stressful trades. Whether during execution or analysis, proper emotional management is achieved when traders are in control of mental state and the reactions that follow. For a disciplined trading mindset, take a look at the best benefits of effective emotional management:
- Increases creative thinking during stressful situations
- Transforms anxiety into positive action
- Improves self-confidence and motivation especially after trading losses
- Reduces stress levels for increased energy
- Creates a proactive mindset instead of shutting down
- Optimizes decision making and effectiveness
Emotional management is key to a positive and fulfilling careering in forex trading. Amidst an unpredictable market, emotions can go from high to low in seconds. With traders putting capital at risk, it is vital to apply emotional management to avoid trading loss and improve mental health. To begin applying emotional management, learn the three basic steps to achieving self-control:
- Determine your emotions during all activities of forex trading. Are you most anxious before a trade?
- Assess and reflect on the underlying cause of what you are feeling. Are you not confident enough in your strategy?
- To let go of habitual negative emotions, turn anxiety into positive action and productivity. Test more strategies through a demo account.
Negative emotions to avoid
Being highly emotional in forex trading may lead to loss of focus and weakened performance. While putting capital at risk, negative emotions can also affect mental well being and optimism. Because of this, it is important to always point out which emotions cause trading losses or difficulties.
In future trades, you can avoid negative emotions and make better choices for positive results. To become an efficient trader, here are the top negative emotions to watch out for:
Positive emotions to develop
To have an enjoyable career in forex trading, positive emotions should be nurtured. Despite the uncertainty of the forex market, these emotions can encourage traders to optimize skills or improve systems. Throughout the challenges, positive emotions are beneficial to mental health and continuous self-mastery. For successful and proactive trading, get to know the top positive emotions that benefit forex trading:
How to manage emotions when trading
Becoming profitable and efficient in trading does not only rely on good strategy, but also a stable trading mindset. Successful traders are highly skilled in executing strategies as well as managing emotions. By taking charge of mental outlook, you can go through your forex trading journey with diligence and positivity. In a changeable market, take advantage of these foolproof tricks to efficiently manage emotions:
Recognise the negative emotion
Recognising and identifying unhealthy emotions is the first step to achieving self-control. In fact, the act of taking responsibility and acknowledging a negative emotion can go a long way. In the fast paced atmosphere of forex trading, emotions can run high. Eventually, harboring negative emotions can form into a risky habit that could lead to further losses or mistakes.
Managing emotions enables traders to think logically. It also allows traders to become more proactive in problem solving. First you have to acknowledge the emotions you are dealing with in order to begin self-management. It is the starting point to start exercising self-awareness and execute proper emotional management.
Give reason to emotion
After identifying negative emotions, the next step is to understand the reasons behind them. In order to change your perspective and control how you feel, it is essential to identify the reasons behind uncontrollable emotions. To respond more positively, determine the cause of any feelings of anxiety, discontent or fear. This way, you can plan out the next steps to break the habit of reacting negatively in similar situations.
Try asking yourself questions that can help you analyze your state of mind. Why do I constantly worry about my trades? Am I confident enough in my current strategy? Have I exhausted all forms of forex education to help me?
When you have understood the reasons behind negative emotions, it is time to become proactive towards it. Achieving a stable level of discipline is an effective method during trading sessions. Being more disciplined can promote a more methodological approach to any trading scenario. To flawlessly execute trades, applying the right solutions and practicing discipline is a great way to manage emotions. It improves self-control and reasoning especially when there are feelings of pressure or panic.
Aside from proper emotional management, discipline can also enhance trading skills and overall performance. In fact, discipline is one of the 5 Personal Habits the Optimize Forex Trading.Being a more disciplined trader can help you manage emotions and improve self-control. Click To Tweet
Apply a lifestyle of positive action
A positive way of thinking paves the way for positive action. In forex trading, health and wellness plays a big role in success. When you have a happy and healthy lifestyle, you can have a better outlook and a more positive reaction to the challenges of forex trade. In the long run, this will encourage more positive emotions. Here are the top ways to help manage emotions through a positive lifestyle:
- Being physically fit naturally releases happy hormones that boost mental wellbeing.
- Practicing mindfulness is a great lifestyle choice that encourages acceptance and growth.
- Steer clear of negativity in both work and personal life.
- Be open. Communicate your concerns with fellow traders for more positive outlook towards forex trading.
- Master good work-life balance to improve focus as well as motivation.
- Mental health writer and activist Therese Borchard says that replacing negative words with positive words can improve gratitude and mental wellbeing.
Manage your thoughts and reactions
They say that personal beliefs drive our deepest emotions. With the risks and rewards of forex trading, our natural responses for losses or accomplishments emerge. By managing thoughts and reactions, you can shift your energy and focus towards the right strategies. This prevents any uncontrollable emotions from affecting trades or increasing the risks.
There is no way of changing market movement. But by actively managing thoughts and reactions, traders can change attitude and oftentimes, the outcome of challenging trades.
Easy ways to manage emotions during stressful scenarios
Growth is important in a forex trading career. The most important part of the process is learning how to manage emotions especially during stressful trades. By mastering self-control, traders can manipulate unfavorable emotions and redirect attitude for more positive actions.
When dealing with monetary risks, it is normal to feel overwhelmed with emotion. For long term success, forex traders need to also create a reliable strategy to take charge of mental state. Here are the easiest ways to manage emotions during stressful situations:
- According to Anxiety Guru, it is beneficial to prepare a coping and relaxation skill to help go through any feelings of anxiety during work.
- To promote self-awareness, make use of a trading journal to track trades that trigger negative emotions.
- In a stressful situation, physically remove tensions by taking deep breaths or stretching.
- Prepare a mantra that promotes self-compassion and encouragement.
- Actively acknowledge the negative emotion. Use emotional intelligence to encourage positive emotions instead.
- Practice meditation to regain concentration and self-discipline.
Manage your emotions for trading performance
To become a successful trader, you will need to manage emotions and rely on reasonable thought process based on your strategy. By changing both attitude and way of thinking, you can control your thoughts and reactions during any type of trade. It is also important to remember that emotional management does not mean anger or anxiety is a wrong response. The essential step is to be able to manage emotions and channel this into positive action.Manage all emotions during trading and channel into positive action. Click To Tweet